Aam jhor is the famous mango juice of Bihar and Jharkhand, India. During earlier times it was prepared by baking and grilling the raw mangoes over chulha(Mud oven) , but modern day technology mimics the properties of chulha thus mangoes can be easily baked over any baking or grilling system.
High Medicinal Value
A glass of aam jhor greatly helps in fighting with the heat stroke both before and after the heat stroke affects the body. It helps in keeping the body cool thereby protecting the body from heat.
The baked mangoes works as a medicine and nullifies the affect of heat stroke, when applied over the body of the person affected by heat stroke.
If you ask me about the taste of aam jhor i can only say that its irresistible. I can bet that this is most popular drink during summer in eastern India apart from bel ka sharbat(woodstone cooler) and ganne ka juice(sugarcane juice).
serves - 4
cooking time- 30 minutes
preparation time- 10 minutes
Level of difficulty- easy
- Raw mango- 2
- Black Salt or normal salt - Pinch
- Sugar- as per taste
- Cold water
- Toasted and then crushed cumin seeds
- Toasted and then crushed dry red chilli
- Grill the mangoes over chulha, heater or in any suitable oven until the mangoes get fully cooked.
- Once the mango gets cooked, place it in the water and let it cool.
- Peel off the skin and deseed the mango.
- Chop and mash the cooked mango pulp. Add water and sugar and beat it with a beater until a homogeneous mixture can be seen .
- Add salt, cumin and chillies.
Refrigerate and serve it chilled.
Enjoy and beat the heat.
By- Sushmita Pandit.