I love using herbs in my food. It entangles the dish with some enchanting aroma. That is why i cooked up the herbs chicken. The herb that i basically used in this dish are the fresh bunch of green coriander leaves and a bunch of fresh mint leaves. To be straight forward i added the green chutney in the chicken . The preparation of green chutney is very simple but the taste that it imparts to the whole dish is just unparallel.
First time we had this green herbs chicken, we were almost bowled with the magic that the herbs imparted over the chicken. Since then my hubby would always ask me to prepare the coriander chicken .
Last evening i opened up my pantry and i could see a packet of frozen chicken and a fresh packet of mint and coriander. That is it, next i knew what i was about to prepare.
I also believe that this spicy herb chicken is apt for summer because the herbs will greatly nullify the hot effects that the spices sometimes imparts. I didn't use much of the spices in this recipe so that the herbs effect would stay prominent.
Preparation time- 10 minutes
Cooking time- 30 minutes
Total time- 40 minutes
Level of difficulty- easy
- Chicken - 800g, Curry cut
- Onion- 1, large thinly sliced
- Green chillies as per taste
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 Tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1 Tsp
- Coriander Powder- 1 Tbsp
- Cumin powder- 1 Tsp
- Pepper powder- 1/2 Tsp
- Garam masala powder- 1 Tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Oil for cooking
- Cumin seeds- 1 Tsp
- Tomato - 1,chopped
- Coriander leaves- 1 bunch
- Mint leaves- 1 bunch, shredded
- Yogurt- 2 Tbsp
- Marinate the chicken with salt, turmeric and oil. leave aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of oil in a kadai. Once the oil is hot add the cumin seed and let it crackle. Once cumin seed starts crackling add the onion and green chillies. Saute until onions turns translucent.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and saute for 2 minutes. Add the marinated chicken . Fry until the colour of the chicken changes.
- In a small mixing bowl add the chopped tomatoes, coriander powder, cumin powder, pepper powder. Add little water and prepare paste. Add this paste to the chicken. Fry until oil oozes out.
- In the mean time,prepare the green chutney. In a grinder or blender jar add the coriander leaves and the mint leaves. Add 2 tbsp of yogurt. Grind this to fine paste.
- Once the oil starts oozing out in the chicken add the green chutney and fry for 5 to 10 minutes in low flame. Cover and cook, stir from time to time so that the chicken doesnt get burnt.
- After 8 minutes check for the salt and consistency in the gravy. Adjust the consistency of the gravy by adding little water if you want the gravy to be thin.
- At last add the garam masala powder, cover and cook for 1 more minute. Turn off the heat.
Serve hot with bread, roti, nan or rice. It tastes awesome. So enjoy cooking and don't forget to share your views with me. Enjoy!!!!
Happy cooking :-)
By- Sushmita Pandit.